By Julia Valeva, Emil Nankov, Denver Graninger
A spouse to historical Thrace offers a sequence of essays that display the newly famous complexity of the social and cultural phenomena of the peoples inhabiting the Balkan outer edge of the Classical world.
• contains a wealthy and distinctive evaluate of Thracian heritage from the Early Iron Age to overdue Antiquity
• contains contributions from best students within the archaeology, artwork historical past, and normal heritage of Thrace
• Balances attention of fabric facts on the subject of historic Thrace with extra conventional literary sources
• Integrates a examine of Thrace inside of a wide context that comes with the cultures of the japanese Mediterranean, southwest Asia, and southeast Europe/Eurasia
• displays the influence of recent theoretical methods to financial system, ethnicity, and cross-cultural interplay and hybridity in historic Thrace
Read Online or Download A Companion to Ancient Thrace PDF
Similar ancient books
In movie imagery, city areas appear not just as spatial settings of a narrative, but additionally as projected principles and kinds that target to recreate and trap the spirit of cultures, societies and epochs. a few cinematic towns have even controlled to go beyond fiction to turn into a part of sleek collective reminiscence. do we think a futuristic urban no longer encouraged no less than remotely by way of Fritz Lang’s city?
Submit 12 months observe: First released in 2000
Fritz Graf right here provides a survey of a god as soon as regarded as the main strong of gods, and able to nice wrath should still he be crossed: Apollo the sunlight god.
From his first attestations in Homer, in the course of the complicated query of pre-Homeric Apollo, to the competition among Apollo and Dionysos in 19th and twentieth-century pondering, Graf examines Greek faith and fantasy to supply a whole account of Apollo within the old world.
For scholars of Greek faith and tradition, of fantasy and legend, and within the fields of artwork and literature, Apollo will offer an informative and enlightening advent to this robust determine from the prior.
In historic and medieval occasions, the Silk street used to be of significant significance to the delivery of peoples, items, and concepts among the East and the West. an unlimited community of exchange routes, it hooked up the various geographies and populations of China, the Eurasian Steppe, relevant Asia, India, Western Asia, and Europe.
- Reading Ancient Slavery
- Brotherhood of Kings: How International Relations Shaped the Ancient Near East
- The earliest cosmologies; the universe as pictured in thought by ancient Hebrews, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Iranians, and Indo-Aryans; a guidebook for beginners in the study of ancient literatures and religions
- Across the Ocean: Nine Essays on Indo-Mediterranean Trade
- Sport and Spectacle in the Ancient World (2nd Edition) (Ancient Cultures)
Extra info for A Companion to Ancient Thrace
2001. ” In Recherches récentes sur le monde hellénistique. Actes du colloque international organisé à l’occasion du 60e anniversaire de Pierre Ducrey (Lausanne, 20–21 novembre 1998) (ECHO 1), edited by R. Frei-Stolba and K. Gex, 53–64. Bern: Peter Lang. Lolos, Yiannis. 2007. ” Mediterranean Historical Review, 22: 273–293. Madzharov, M. 2009. Roman Roads in Bulgaria. Contribution to the Development of Roman Road Systems in the Provinces of Moesia and Thrace. Veliko Tarnovo: Faber. Geography 21 Popovic, Mihailo.
The Edges of the Earth in Ancient Thought. Geography, Exploration, and Fiction. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. Themelis, P. G. 1989. ” Horos, 7: 23–29. Todorova, Maria. 1994. ” Slavic Review, 53: 453–482. Tsonchev, D. 1962. ” Latomus, 21: 848–852. Vergin, Wiebke. 2013. Das Imperium Romanum und seine Gegenwelten: die geographisch-ethnographischen Exkurse in den “Res Gestae” des Ammianus Marcellinus (Millennium-Studien 41). Berlin/ Boston: De Gruyter. Young, John Howard. 1941. ” Hesperia, 10: 163–191.
Veliko Tarnovo: Faber. Fitton Brown, A. D. 1985. ” Liverpool Classical Monthly, 10: 19–22. Hansen, Mogens Herman, and Thomas Heine Nielsen, eds. 2004. An Inventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Hatzopoulos, Miltiades. 2013. ” In Epigraphical Approaches to the Post-Classical Polis, Fourth Century BC to Second Century AD, edited by Paraskevi Martzavou and Nikolaos Papazarkadas, 13–21. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Horden, Peregrine, and Nicholas Purcell. 2000.
A Companion to Ancient Thrace by Julia Valeva, Emil Nankov, Denver Graninger